These guidelines will give you the steps needed to produce and post a video into a EGCC’s online course with your EGCC YouTube account. These steps apply for both instructors (into discussion boards and content items) and students (into discussion boards). The easiest way to do this is to use a smartphone with the YouTube app installed. The steps outlined in this document follows the assumption that you have a smartphone available, but if not, there are free programs on PCs (e.g., Microsoft Movie Maker) and Macs (e.g., iMovie) to help you create a video using your webcam and upload the movie file into YouTube. This is explored in more detail under “Helpful Resources.”
Sign in to Youtube
- Go to YouTube.com and sign in with your EGCC email address.
- When the sign in page opens, only type in your EGCC email address and click "Sign In." Do not enter a password.
- A new window will appear where you can add your EGCC password, then click "Sign In." This is the final step needed to sign into your EGCC YouTube account.
YouTube Channel Setup
Create your personal YouTube channel. A channel is where you will store all your videos. You cannot upload a video without first creating a channel. Go to the following webpage to create your channel. https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1646861?hl=en
Once your channel has been created, you can now begin creating and uploading videos to your YouTube channel.
Using the free YouTube app
- Install and open the free YouTube app (this app should be already on your phone).
- Sign in using your EGCC email.
- Enter your EGCC ID and password in the EGCC mobile screen.
- Once signed in, tap the record button in the top right of the screen.
- Click the red button to start recording.
- Select the video you just recorded.
- The next screen gives you the option of trimming the ends of the video or adding a filter. Click "Next" in the top right of the screen to move on.
- Give your video a title and select the privacy level of your video. “Unlisted” is recommended, as your video will be viewable in Loud Cloud but the public will not be able to see your video in your profile or search for it. “Public” means everyone can search for and see your video while “Private” means your video is only accessible by you and not your class. Click “Upload” at the top right when you’re finished.
- You've now uploaded your video to YouTube.
Sharing your video
First you will need to grab the embed code to link to the video in LoudCloud. Go to www.youtube.com and go to your channel to find the video.
- Click on the icon in the top left with three bars. This will open your control panel.
- Click on "My Channel."
- Click on "Videos" in your channel. This will bring up a list of your videos. Click on the one you wish to embed.
Copy the embed code below the video using these steps:
- Click on the "Share" option.
- Click on the "Embed" option.
- Copy the embed code (iframe).
Open your courses and select the area in which you wish to embed your video. You can post your video in the discussion thread or Content areas.
Click on "insert video" located in the menu bar.
Click on "Embed."
Paste into the box.
Tips on Recording Video on Your Smartphone:
Tips on Recording Video Using a Webcam.